Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Tomatoes vs Sweet Peas

I tried making some new necklaces yesterday and just was not happy with the way they turned out.  I was trying to recreate a sweet pea blossom that I saw on my flower walk last week: 

 
The necklace looks ok, but kind of funny.  So, I decided to try a new recipe instead of making jewelry and I had much better luck!  I made stuffed tomatoes from a German recipe I found in a magazine (and I only had to look up about six words!).  They were delicious and I will definitely make them again. 


Here is the recipe in case you want to make them:

4 large tomatoes
handful of fresh arugula
1 small red bell pepper
1 small yellow bell pepper
2 Tablespoons sour cream
100 g frischkäse (if you don't have this German cheese, use cream cheese instead)
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tablespoons sunflower seeds
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tablespoon olive oil
fresh sage (I didn't have any, but the recipe called for 4 leaves of fresh sage plus a few for garnish)

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 F).
2. Wash and dry the tomatoes, then cut off the tops and scoop out the seeds with a small spoon. 
3. Wash, dry and chop the arugula, bell peppers and sage (if you are using it). 
4. In a bowl, mix together the sour cream, Parmesan, and frischkäse/cream cheese.  One it is well blended, add the arugula, sage, peppers, and sunflower seeds and season with salt and pepper. 
5. Spoon the cheese mixture into each of the four tomatoes (I had some mixture left over). 
6. Pour the olive oil in a small cooking pan and place the tomatoes in. 
7. Bake for about 20 minutes then serve hot! 

No comments:

Post a Comment